- Assist in final preparation for Baptism / Confirmation
- Help the one being Baptized / Confirmed to persevere in the Christian life
- Testify publicly before the entire Catholic Church to the faith of the person to be Baptized / Confirmed
- Profess the Catholic Church’s faith publicly together with the person to be Baptized / Confirmed (or with the infant’s parents)
- Must be chosen by the person to be Baptized / Confirmed (or by the parents of the infant to be Baptized)
- Must have the ability, understanding and intention to carry out the role of the Godparent / Sponsor
- Cannot be a parent
- Must be at least 16 years old and have received the sacraments of baptism, reconciliation, holy communion and confirmation
- If married, must be married validly in the Catholic Church
- Must be regularly practicing the Catholic faith, attending Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation and give witness to our faith in Jesus Christ by receiving Him in the Eucharist.
- Must not be in a state of mortal sin
- Should be requested from the church where the sponsor is currently registered
- Validates that the sponsor is a Catholic in good standing
- Is a personal reflection for the sponsor
Requirements for OLG Member Requesting a Sponsor Certificate
- Please complete the OLG-Sponsor Form below; must be a current, registered, participating member of OLG.
- Return it to the office by mail, in-person, or e-mail to the office at email@example.com
- If needed, include the name and address of the Church where the Sponsor Form should be sent.
- Allow one-two weeks for processing.